Sunday, June 20, 2010

What's your life about?

There is a phenomenon here close to Lake Erie that is as fascinating as it is gross.  Every year, if Lake Erie is healthy, there is an invasion of mayflies.  They swarm the area and look really gross.  Check out this website for more scientific facts about them.  http://www.mayflynews.net/ 

The non-scientific facts about them are this:
1.  They can completely cover your car if you park under a light - I learned this from experience
2.  They live a very short time - I've seen estimates from 30 minutes to 72 hours
3.  When they die, they smell like dead fish
4.  They have no mouths and seem to exist for the sole purpose of reproducing.

In that respect they are very lucky.  They are designed to fulfill their one purpose in life. They have no mouths, some species have multiple genatalia - they are truly designed to complete this one purpose.  They have up to two years beneath the surface of the lake to prepare for the completion of their purpose once they emerge from the water.

Our purpose in life is not so clearly defined.  Is it to reproduce?  Is our one mission in life to procreate and raise offspring?  If not reproduction, what is it?  My thoughts are that our purpose is up to each of us to define.  I would have told you 20 years ago that my purpose was to be a mom.  God had other plans for me and I was unable to have children.  So I had to rethink what my purpose was.

I'm still trying to figure out what my purpose is but I think it has something to do with making a positive impact on as many people as I can while I am here on earth.  I think about the people that I love and those that I come into contact with every day.  There is cross over between those two groups which is always a good thing!  In the evening I often reflect upon the day's events and ask myself if I made a difference in someone's life that day.  It could be something small - did I brighten their day by making them laugh.  It could be something big - did I help them through a rough spot in their life in some manner.  The days that bring me the most satisfaction are those that I can feel as if I helped someone in some way, no matter how small. 

What's your purpose and are you achieving it?

1 comment:

  1. Ok, the mayfly thing is sort of gross, but it does raise interesting questions. What is our purpose? I have finally figured out that my purpose is to use my spiritual gifts of hospitality and also discernment. The hospitality one is pretty easy, but requires you to be hospitable even when you don't feel like it!!!

    Did you know that the word hospitable is between hospice - which is a shelter and hospital - which is a place of healing? So when we offer hospitality we are offering shelter and healing. This info comes from Karen Burton Mains in a devotion in my Bible. I like the idea of being sheltering and healing. It makes so much sense when I see the things I do with the kids. It also goes hand in hand with the quilts I make. They shelter the recipients from cold, hurt, anger, frustration and with God's help provide some healing.

    As for the discernment. I have to listen to God's nudgings. When someone and their issue comes to mind I have to act. Sometimes this means a letter, sometimes a phone call, sometimes a prayer. The important thing is to act when God nudges you. If the opportunity is missed it will never appear in the same time/situation/opportunity to guide again. So, I try (not always successful) to respond when nudged. My opportunity to be God's instrument for that moment is probably short-lived.

    Here are several links for spiritual gifts surveys.
    http://www.kodachrome.org/spiritgift/

    http://mintools.com/spiritual-gifts-test.htm

    http://buildingchurch.net/g2s.htm

    http://www.gregwiens.com/gifts/

    These websites all offer spiritual gift surveys. Several of them are slanted toward the "already a strong Christian" view. The last one is a more for the average person looking to see where they should start. They also provide detailed information about what each "gift" means.

    Also, spiritual gifts can change over time. I have taken numerous surveys over the years. Hospitality has ALWAYS been a strong gift of mine, but the fringe gifts have changed some.

    God bless us and our spiritual gifts. Step out there and see how God can use you!!!

    ReplyDelete