Thursday, April 1, 2010

What accent??

So today I walked around this quaint town.  I found the post office where I sent off letters and met three of the nicest people.  With one of them I talked about being an aunt to cute baby girls.  She is babysitting her niece for the week.  With the other two, I talked about what brought me to this town. 

I then went to the local coffee shop, right across from the post office, as did the aunt and her niece.  At the coffee shop, she and the two people working in there asked me where I was from.  Seems like I don't sound like people from around here!  I sat outside at the coffee shop for a couple of hours enjoying the coffee, my book and the excellent sunshine.  I think I might have gotten my first North Coast sunburn - just a touch on my arms, nothing too serious!

Then I walked to the marina and watched the charter fishing boats come in for the afternoon.  Lots of fish were brought in by the patrons.  It's funny how the sounds around the water are the same everywhere - the lapping of the water, the cry of the gulls, and the motor sounds from the boats.  Did I tell you that this town has a drawbridge?  I think that is just too cool.  I'm not sure why but it seems cool to me.

I finished my trek around the town off at the local Mexican restaurant. The food was not TexMex but it was pretty darn good.  And once again, I was asked by the waitress where I was from.  This accent of mine seems to be a pretty good conversation starter.  So, Hi y'all!!

2 comments:

  1. I stopped by Bobby's house last week to give him some spending money for his summer camp. While I was there I visted with his Dad for a moment. You may be asking why I gave him money, when he has a dad - well that is a whole 'nother story!!!! But, back to my point, Bobby Sr. said, "I did not ever realize you had such a thick accent!!!" It seems that growing up inthe Piney Woods of east Texas never leaves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it does not! We've been gone how long and it still is with us. But, I like it!

    ReplyDelete